Crazy Opinions: A Response
Over at 2D6 SF, the esteemed Mr. Loftin has been sharing his thoughts on Traveller. Inspired by his posts, I wanted to share a few of my own "crazy opinions." As he rightly notes, these are just personal preferences, and our diverse viewpoints are what make this hobby great. YMMV*
Unified Task Systems
While Classic Traveller lacks a unified task system, I believe its 2D6 8+ mechanic laid the groundwork for these systems in later RPGs. I personally think the game benefits from a unified approach, a sentiment the original creators seemed to share as the game evolved. I also believe they were unaware of the concept until later on as roleplaying games developed.
In my own games, I use a narrative-focused approach rather than a strict unified mechanic. I adjust difficulty on the fly using three axes—time, distance, and difficulty—to maintain dramatic tension. Sometimes, if a player rolls an 8 or better on 2D6, I’ll simply let the story take precedence over strict rules. I also prefer using the same mechanic for both characteristic and task rolls.
Consume More Sci-Fi
Bob suggests reading a lot of science fiction, and I completely agree. Don't stop there—watch it and listen to it, too. Engaging with these ideas in any format will enrich your game.
Small Groups
Traveller works best with three to five players. Any more than that, and the game becomes unwieldy. This is likely because the source material usually focuses on a single protagonist, whereas we are trying to adapt that dynamic for a group.
Classic Traveller
I’ve been trying to write my own sci-fi RPG since 1979, only to realize I was just trying to reinvent Traveller. I’m currently working on a reimagining of Classic Traveller for its 50th anniversary, as it’s the edition I started with and still feel most comfortable playing.
Mongoose Traveller
Mongoose recently acquired the Traveller IP after years as a licensee. While I think Mongoose Traveller 2e is a great game with many improvements, I actually prefer 1e. To me, 1e feels like a tighter, more cohesive whole. I also appreciate its simple black-and-white layout, which feels more intimate and accessible than the full-color 2e. Of course, that could be because I’m old and visually impaired.
Setting Creep
My main criticism of 2E is the setting creep. While the new material is often fantastic, the sheer volume of it can make the setting feel opaque and intimidating for new players. It can also inadvertently limit players by making them feel they must adhere strictly to fifty years of established canon.
Classic Traveller Modifications
I’m currently working on a set of modifications for Classic Traveller. One of my main goals is to address the common misconception that players only know the skills listed on their character sheet. It’s crazy to think a space-faring character wouldn't know how to use a vacuum suit just because it isn't written down, yet I've seen it happen.
*YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary): An old saying derived from car commercials, meaning that individual results and opinions will naturally differ.
Comments
Post a Comment